Beef & Noodles
Serves 8 adults
Ingredients5 pounds stew beef
8-10 cups beef broth
1/2 bottle red wine
1 onion, sliced thin
8 large carrots, cut into thirds
8 celery stalks, cut into thirds
1 garlic clove minced
2 package Boursin herb cheese
2 packages pappardelle egg noodles
- Prep large crockpot and plug in on low.
- Add stew beef, wine, onion, 6 carrots, 8 celery stalks, garlic, pinch of kosher salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. Add enough beef broth to cover the meet. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. If you are leaving the crockpot unattended, add extra beef broth - a cup or two. You can also cook this on high for 5-6 hours.
- Your meat is done when you spoon out a piece and it pulls apart on its own. Remove the large pieces of carrot and celery. Dice the cooked celery and carrots into bite-size slices. Slice the other two carrots and add to crockpot to soften.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Cook noodles according to package directions until they are al dente. If the noodles are in long pieces, break apart to about 2-3 inch pieces before cooking.
- Add both boursin cheese packages to crockpot and stir until melted and combined.
- While the noodles are cooking, you will make the sauce thicker. Start by laddeling a few spoonful of just the liquid from the beef into a medium bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons of gravy flour. Mix until no clumps. Add this back to the crockpot and stir to combine. Repeat 2-3 times until gravy is a little thicker - not "turkey gravy thick" but not soup thin. Somewhere in between. You may need to add additional beef broth to get to the consistency you prefer.
- Drain noodles, leaving about 4 tablespoons of the boiled water in pot. Toss cooked noodles with the water in the pot. This helps the noodles not stick to each other.
- Plate in low bowls by putting the noodles on the bottom and topped with a helping of the beef and gravy. Optional topping is Italian Parsley.
- Enjoy! This meal (minus the noodles) freezes really well!