adapted from donna hay
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely*
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped (do yourself a favor and buy the whole ones you have to peel. they are so much sweeter!)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- generous pinch of salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 14 ounce cans of chopped tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- pinch of powdered rosemary
- 3 cups vegetable stock*
- 3 cups beef stock*
- in a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil and lightly saute the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper for about 4 minutes. do not over cook/sweat the vegetables. you want them to have a very slight crispness to them when the soup is done.
- add the tomatoes and stock.
- simmer for 15 minutes with lid on pot.
- taste and add additional salt or pepper.
- serve immediately or turn stove off and let soup rest, with lid on the pot, until ready to reheat and serve. this soup never lasts long enough in our home to freeze, but i assume it freezes well.
*i use penzey's soup base and penzey's minced garlic. the flavor they add is unbeatable.