Hello there! Hope your summer is going well. Lots of changes going on in our household, the most exciting being moving into a new home less than two miles from the beach! If you follow me on Instagram, you've seen bits and pieces of the blue and white house. (Search Burlap and Basil under usernames.) We are getting settled and I will try to get some photos up here this weekend. The house is so cute - built in 1911 with lots of charm!
In the meantime, I am cooking summer fresh foods. You must try this Slaw with Ginger-Peanut Dressing. It is delicious and keeps well for leftovers (add some chicken or steak for more protein). A few readers have asked where I get some of my ingredients. I shop Trader Joe's mainly, with odd items coming from Albertsons, Ralphs and Whole Foods. Trader Joe's prices are always best on speciality items (if they carry it). Hope this helps you!
What are you cooking this summer?
Slaw with Ginger-Peanut Dressing
Adapted from here
Serves 6 as a side dish
Ginger-Peanut Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 cup raw honey (you can also use regular; I'm into the Trader Joe's organic raw honey lately)
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar (Trader Joe's)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (Trader Joe's)
- 1 tablespoon creamy, no salt added peanut butter (Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha (if you don't have this in your fridge, you are missing out! Target carries it, as well as most chain grocery stores. Delicious stuff - our eggs always get Sriracha!)
- generous pinch of powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Penzey's Minced Garlic (buy some; you'll never have garlic smelling hands again) or 1 garlic clove finely minced
- In a mason jar (or some other lidded container), mix all ingredients.
- Shake. Shake. Shake.
- Will keep in your refrigerator three days. Shake well before using.
- 4 cups pre-shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix (I used the bag of shredded green cabbage from Trader Joe's)
- 2 cups pre-sliced carrots (Trader Joe's)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced or julienned (you could easily use a yellow or orange pepper - not green, you want it sweet)
- 1 cup shelled and cooked edamame (I buy it pre-shelled from Trader Joe's freezer section and defrost in hot water)
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped, salted peanuts (I use 50% less salt from Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped cilantro (use fresh, not dried)
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Stir to mix.
- Add dressing, a little at a time. I used less than half of the dressing and that was plenty for us. So, dress to taste!
- Let Slaw and dressing sit for at least 10 minutes to mesh flavors.
- The Slaw keeps in the refrigerator for three days in an airtight container.